The War Memorial 1914 - 1919

The Parish War Memorial was erected in the name of the people of Dore, at the junction of Church Lane and Savage Lane. Thirty names appear, of which half were from families with long connections with the village.

The Peat family had made besoms from heather gathered on the moor above Dore; the Hancocks and Coates were farming families and the Taylors, tool makers. Biggin, Cooper, Green, Gill, Hall, Ibbotson, Marsden and Sykes were family names appearing in village records for several generations.

The date 1919 on the memorial is significant in that, although the Armistice was signed in November 1918, the Treaty of Versailles was not signed until June 1919.

The Lych gate of the Church was erected in 1921, also as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the Great War.

Source: Dore to Door. Autumn 1987